Noticing Bumpy

I was heading back from my usual walk up the hill when a white-haired, ponytailed woman wearing a baggy light blue shirt and shorts jogged toward me. 
"Interesting sidewalk up there!" she called as she passed. 
"Oh yeah?" I asked. 
"Bumpy," she replied.

I walked over the sidewalk pushed up by tree roots. I hadn't really thought about the topography here or if bumpy was, indeed, interesting. But I felt happy, for some reason, that my "normal" was the jogger's "interesting." I walk the same walk every day and always see something new. But, at the same time, it seems, I am failing to see something old.


The day before, I nearly bumped into two people exiting the house where they and this iron lawn deer reside. One said, "If it doesn't rain, we can decorate George." I guess this is George. (Or Bumpy. Although I'm tempted to call him, "Mummy Deerest…") 
Happy Halloween in advance!

Comments

dinahmow said…
We all see and hear things differently...as your page loaded,I saw the title and the antlers and when I read about the jogger I assumed she had said"Bambi."
Unknown said…
Each season brings different sounds and sights to the same pathway! Fun!
Velma Bolyard said…
love this. i have been walking the same route for 25 years. i always see new things, but never, i admit, bumpy or mummy or george. one day four hyper-elongated rearing horses appeared on four plinths. that was almost as exciting as seeing the coyote.
Alisa said…
Thanks for reading, everyone, and thanks for commenting to let me know you are there!